Saturday, September 18, 2010

Teaching






































Way back when, after I first graduated from college, I worked as a volunteer for the Christian Appalachian Project . As the youngest on both sides of my family, I had absolutely no experience with children. So, they saw fit to place me as a teacher in a child development center, where I taught 3 year old kids (and 4 and 5 year olds, too). It was perhaps the hardest job I've ever had, and I loved every minute of it. I am still learning from those days.

This picture shows me holding the child I most connected with, Jason. Jason came from a poor family and suffered from neglect--he didn't know his own name at the age of 3 because no one ever talked to him. Though it seems a small thing, he and i connected so he started to have a self image, getting to know his name and even a nickname, as well as his colors, numbers, and some interpersonal skills.

If you're looking for an organization to support with your time, prayers, or money, learn about CAP . And don't forget to talk to your kids and take time to listen to what they have to say. Their ideas and thoughts are so inspired and inspiring!

Thanks, Jason, for teaching me so much.

© 2010 Mexipickle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home